Saturday, September 3, 2011

Culture shock!!

When I first moved to Long Island and then when I moved to New Jersey when people found out I was from Idaho one of the first things they'd say to me after the uncontrollable comments about potatoes was
"oh talk about CULTURE SHOCK......."
the truth is it never was! Maybe because I had traveled with my family and I was used to different walks of life. Mostly I think that initially all the things you are submerged in when you first move to the east coast are the positive things, the city, the culture, the food! It's amazing!
BUT moving back to Idaho, that is a CULTURE SHOCK! I have spent the past 11 years living on top of thousands of people and have surely grown accustom to their up tight, stressed out, fast paced, rude ways of living! And then you come back to the land of the nice! It throws you off.....a lot! I went and got my oil changed at Einsteins oilery! By the way I highly recommend it! Anyway the man came out and gave me a water and a newspaper. NEVER would have come for free in Jersey. It took 10 minutes, again why be fast when you can charge more money the longer it takes. They were so friendly it quite literally threw me for a loop and if the entire experience was not good enough.......the guy kept calling me miss! Not ma'am! I could have kissed him on the face!
CULTURE SHOCK is what it is no matter if you are going from small town to big city or vice versa. I love this way of life and have missed it too! But it does take me back but I know I can get used to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment